- I do not believe in banning books. Literature is absolutely sometimes uncomfortable. That doesn't mean that we should restrict access to it.
- I believe that school libraries should contain age-appropriate reading materials.
- I believe that students need access to high-quality reading materials on a wide variety of high-interest topics that they can see themselves represented in.
- I do not believe we should have books in our school libraries with any sort of pornography.
- inventory library books at all schools (this should exist, but I'm hearing that many new books have been purchased recently that may be on the shelves but not inventoried)
- develop a set of criteria for rating books (reading level, grade level appropriateness, potentially controversial content, etc)
- establish procedures to ensure that books at each grade band are grade level appropriate
- develop processes to allow potentially controversial books to remain in libraries while restricting access to them
- allow parents to opt-in to potentially controversial content, rather than allowing unrestricted access to these materials